Once again SCBWI British Isles plans to help fresh, new voices in children’s literature find agents and publishers through its Undiscovered Voices project. Authors and illustrators from the six previous anthologies have received publishing contracts for nearly 250 books and have been nominated for or won more than 150 of literary prizes: including the Carnegie Medal, Waterstone’s Children’s Book Prize, Branford Boase Award, Blue Peter Award, the SCBWI Crystal Kite Award, and more than 30 regional awards. Click here to discover more about our previous finalists.
The Undiscovered Voices team will launch Undiscovered Voices 2020 with a free, online event on Facebook:
- Thursday 9 May 2019
- 7 – 8 p.m.
- On the SCBWI TV British Isles Facebook Page
The event will consist of a panel discussion with the judges, who will offer valuable advice for those planning to submit to the anthology. To attend, you must be a member of SCBWI in the UK or EU and sign up for the event on the British SCBWI website: Sign up here!
We are thrilled to announce this year’s stellar judging panel:
- Helen Boyle, Literary and Illustration Agent at Pickled Ink
- Aimée Felone, Co-founder of Knights Of
- Annalie Grainger, Senior Commissioning Editor at Walker Books
- Stephanie King, Commissioning Fiction Editor at Usborne Publishing
- Polly Nolan, Literary Agent at Greenhouse Literary Agency
- Alice Sutherland-Hawes, Children’s Agent at Madeleine Milburn Literary Agency
- Clare Wallace, Literary Agent at Darley Anderson Children’s Book Agency
- Discover more about our judging panel here.
The Undiscovered Voices anthology will include at least twelve fiction extracts – from early readers up through young adult novels – from SCBWI members in the UK and EU. The anthology will be published in February 2020 and sent free of charge to editors and agents whose focus is children’s literature. The book is produced with the financial support of Working Partners Ltd, a London-based company that creates series fiction.
This Undiscovered Voices anthology will not include illustrations this time. The SCBWI illustrator team is working on creating a programme specifically designed to support SCBWI illustrators.
Submissions will be accepted between 1stJune to 15thJuly 2019 via an online submissions process. There is no submissions’ fee, but only unagented and unpublished members of SCBWI living in the UK and Europe (writing in the English language) are eligible.
- For Criteria and Rules, click here
- For Tips and Advice, click here
- For Frequently Asked Questions, click here
- For Judges, Honorary Chair and Committee Members, click here
- For the latest UV news, click here
- To sign up to email reminders about Undiscovered Voices, click here.