SCBWI British Isles is proud to announce the promising, unpublished writers and illustrators who have been selected from hundreds of submissions to be included in Undiscovered Voices 2014.
SCBWI congratulates the following twelve authors whose novel extracts will be featured in the anthology:
- Phoenix by Katrina Charman, Wokingham, Berkshire
- This Grimm Life by Christian Colussi, London
- Vickery Barnet Recurring by Sarah Dalkin, London
- The Voyage of the Onion by Claire Fayers, Cardiff
- The Wing Giver by Emma Higham, London
- A Good Hiding by Shirley-Anne McMillan, Maghera Village, Castlewellan
- Fire Girl by Matt Ralphs, Old Wives Lees, Kent
- Traitor Girl by Rachel Rivett, Basingstoke, Hampshire
- Atticus Trump and the Astro Fart by Bronwen Roscoe, Effingham, Surrey
- Southend Loaded by Susan Sandercock, Canvey Island, Essex
- The Stone Cutter by Tioka Tokedira, Paris, France
- Shadow Inclusions by Imogen White, Hove, East Sussex
The following five illustrators will have an illustration featured in the 2014 anthology. These artists created black and white drawings in response to a series of original scenes created by past Undiscovered Voices writers.
- James Brown, Nottingham
- Dave Gray, Coventry
- Olivia Palmer, London
- Sarah Palmer, Coventry
- Julia Walther, Germany
For the first time the Undiscovered Voices anthology will be available to download for free from http://www.undiscoveredvoices.com/. A printed copy of the anthology also will be available to purchase from Lulu. The anthology will be available from the website by the end of next week.
The submissions were anonymously selected by the following panel of editors, agents and art directors:
- Gemma Cooper, Literary Agent, The Bent Agency
- Helen Graham-Cameron, Graham-Cameron Illustration Agency
- Ben Horslen, Editorial Director, Puffin
- Sarah Lambert, Editorial Director, Quercus Children’s Books
- Francis McKay, Francis McKay Illustration Agency
- Polly Nolan, Literary Agent, The Greenhouse Literary Agency
- Sara O’Connor, Editorial Director for Print & Digital, Hot Key Books
- Martin Salisbury, Professor of Illustration; Course Leader, MA Children’s Book Illustration, and Director of The Centre for Children’s Book Studies
- Samantha Smith, Fiction Publisher, Scholastic
- Sallyanne Sweeney, Literary Agent, Mulcahy Associates
- Ngheim Ta, Senior Designer/Digital Content Coordinator, Templar Books
Because the anthology is also designed to be a learning tool for up-and-coming children’s writers and artists, quotes from the judges – discussing the merits of each piece – are included at the end of each illustration and extract.
Working Partners Ltd, a London-based company that creates series fiction for children and teens, provided the financial support that made this anthology possible.
Congratulations to this year’s Undiscovered Voices writers and illustrators!
Keep coming back to see how they get on!
SCBWI British Isles is proud to announce the promising, unpublished writers and illustrators who have been selected from hundreds of submissions to be included in