SCBWI and sponsors Working Partners are delighted to announce that submissions for the sixth Undiscovered Voices competition are now open. Undiscovered Voices helps fresh, new voices in children’s literature find agents and publishers.
The Undiscovered Voices anthology will include twelve fiction extracts – from early readers up to young adult novels – and twelve black-and-white illustrations. The anthology will be published in February 2018 and sent free of charge to editors, art directors and agents whose focus is children’s literature. The book is produced with the financial support of Working Partners Ltd, a London-based company that creates series fiction.
Submissions will be accepted between 1st July and 15th August 2017 via an online submissions process. There is no submission fee, but only unagented and unpublished members of SCBWI living in the UK and Europe (writing in the English language) are eligible.
From the five previous anthologies, Undiscovered Voices featured authors and illustrators have received publishing contracts for more than 200 books. The authors have been nominated for and won an amazing array of literary prizes: including the Carnegie Medal, Waterstone’s Children’s Book Prize, Branford Boase Award, Blue Peter Award, the SCBWI Crystal Kite Award, and over 30 regional awards.
The following judges will select the extracts and illustrations to be included in the anthology:
- Chrissie Boehm, Artful Doodlers
- Claire Cartey, Holroyde Cartey
- Lauren Fortune, Scholastic
- Andrea Kearny, Bloomsbury Publishing
- Sarah Leonard, Orchard Children’s Books
- Joanna Moult, Skylark Literary Limited
- Polly Nolan, The Greenhouse Literary Agency
- Gillie Russell, Aitken Alexander Associates
- Hannah Shepard, DHH Literary Agency
- Kirsty Stansfield, Nosy Crow
- Will Steele, Osborne Books
- Nghiem Ta, Walker Books